The Launch Event of the European project Be Secure-Feel Secure (BSFS), led by the Municipality of Piraeus, took place on Wednesday, July 15, 2020, on the main stage of the Municipal Theater of Piraeus, in the presence of esteemed guests.
The Be Secure – Feel Secure Project (BSFS) is 80% funded by the European Regional Development Fund through Urban Innovative Actions (UIA) and its main objective is monitoring, evaluation and forecasting of challenges in the field of urban security, with the help of technology.
The event was inaugurated by the Deputy Mayor of Communication-Promotion and Media of the Municipality of Piraeus Mrs. Andriana Zarakeli.
The Project Presentation section started with a greeting video on behalf of the UIA, by Mrs. Camille Degryse and right after the partners presented the BSFS project and their role in it, in order of appearance:
- Mr. Michael Βourmpos of the Municipality of Piraeus, Project Μanager of BSFS
- Mr. Marios Zacharias of Space Hellas, Technical Manager of BSFS
- Prof. Christina Zarafonitou of the Urban Criminology Lab of Panteion University, Scientific Coordinator of BSFS
- Mrs. Giannoula Chalvatzi, Ministry of Citizen Protection – European and Development Programs Division
- Mr. Stelios Pantelopoulos, Singular Logic
- Prof. Christos Douligeris, University of Piraeus Research Center
- Mr. Socrates Kostikoglou, Space Hellas
- Ms. Eszter Karacsony, European Forum for Urban Security (Efus) – via prerecorded video
The president of the Local Council for Crime Prevention (LCCP) of Piraeus and Deputy Mayor of the Municipal Police, Mrs. Kyriaki Bourdakou opened the section about Urban Security. The professor of Criminology, Director of the Laboratory of Urban Criminology of Panteion University , scientific responsible for BSFS and member of the LCCP of Piraeus, Mrs. Christina Zarafonitou presented the topic “Current trends in community crime prevention in Greece”. Brigadier General Μr. Protosilaos Kostazos from the Piraeus Police Directorate closed the session.
In the last section Technologies enabling Urban Security, the role of technologies in civil security was presented in detail, by the representatives of the partners.
For the University of Piraeus Research Center (UPRC) the researchers Mr. Spyros Papastergiou & Mr. Dimitris Kallergis, for Space Hellas IT, Applications and R&D Director by Mr. Socrates Kostikoglou, and for SingularLogic Dr. Costas Davarakis.
The event was conducted in line with Covid-19 dispersion measures.